Non-skiers are headed to the mountains this season, and they’re ready for their own winter fun. One in five non-skiing travelers still take ski and snowboard vacations on occasion with family and friends who enjoy the sport, according to a recent study conducted by Wyndham Vacation Rentals, the world’s largest professional manager of vacation rentals and part of the Wyndham Worldwide family of brands (NYSE: WYN).
More and more U.S. ski resorts are enhancing the destination experience for skiers and non-skiers alike. Olympic gold-medalist and ski racer, Picabo Street, who has been on the mountains all her life, has seen the changes first-hand.
“One of the best things about ski resorts these days is the long list of activities they now offer,” said Street. “There’s fun for the whole family, whether it’s snowmobiling and mushing behind the dogs or a relaxing afternoon at the spa. If there’s a non-skier in the group, they can choose from a ton of attractions and enjoy the winter vacation experience just as much as those on the slopes.”
The Wyndham Vacation Rentals® study’s full findings are captured in the 2014-15 Ski Trends Research Report, which explores today’s ski and winter vacations. The findings reflect data collected from more than 11,000 travelers, including skiers, snowboarders, and non-skiers.
Non-Skiers Have Distinct Travel Preferences
- They want to be dined. 90% of non-skiers find dining very to extremely appealing when taking a ski/snowboard vacation with family and friends.
- They enjoy the snow, too. Non-skiers don’t avoid the snow. 57% find other outdoor activities like dog sledding, snowshoeing and snow tubing very to extremely appealing while on a ski/snowboard vacation.
- They hit the town. Ski towns are a hot spot for non-skiers on vacation. They find the area’s arts and entertainment (68%) and shopping (64%) very to extremely appealing.
- They’re ready to relax. Nearly twice as many non-skiers find an on-site spa very to extremely appealing compared to skiers and snowboarders (42% to 22%). Non-skiers also find a pool/hot tub more appealing (74% to 62%).
- They crave comfort and convenience. Nearly twice as many non-skiers feel privacy is extremely important on a ski/snowboard vacation compared to skiers (44% vs. 23%). They also place more value on the extras that may be available with their vacation rental. 39% of non-skiers found concierge services very to extremely important compared to 24% of skiers.
About Wyndham Vacation Rentals >
# # #
Wyndham Vacation Rentals