Originally published Tuesday, January 11, 2011 —
Aspen's Wintersköl Celebrations are the annual "toast to winter" that dates back to 1951, making this year's 2011 celebration the 60th Anniversary of Wintersköl! From January 13-16, 2011, enjoy a four-day celebration that features all kinds of activities, fireworks and so much fun!
This year's slogan is "A Cut Above the Rest." The slogan is chosen from entries from the community — they were asked to interpret the event as the 60th "Diamond" Anniversary of Wintersköl. And, what came out of the rough? "A Cut Above the Rest" — of course.
So, what is all the hype about? Check out some of this year's highlights of events, or see the full calendar of events.
- 4:00 pm, Anderson Ranch Arts Center's "Wintersculpt": Anderson Ranch selects six teams to participate in this intense 48-hour snow sculpture competition. Teams often work around the clock on Thursday and Friday of the event to transform their 8'x8'x8' snow cubes into freestanding creations.
- 7:00 pm, "Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones": Wheeler Opera House — This film is believed by many to be the finest pure concert film ever produced. Filmed over four nights during the Stones' monumental 1972 tour of the United States, the movie captures not only "the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world" at the very top of its game, but also the kind of concert experience that defined stadium rock. Free Admission!
- 10:30 am - Noon, Apple Strudel Downhill: Apple Strudel Trail, Aspen Highlands — Free to everyone! All participants receive complimentary apple strudel with whipped cream and a drink, and bragging rights at finish line!
- 5:30-7:30 pm, "Soupsköl": Cooper Ave. Hunter St. — Aspen's 8th annual soup cook-off, Soupsköl is a soup-making contest judged by the public to determine which restaurant has the best soup in our valley. Each restaurant offers a FREE sample of their soup. The public casts a vote for their favorite, and the winner gets the coveted Soup Bowl Trophy and bragging rights for the next year! Free to everyone. To register, call ACRA, 970-925-1940 or visit www.aspenchamber.org
- 11:45 am - 1:15 pm, Wintersköl Public Skate: Lewis Ice Arena — Free admission. Aspen Recreation Center, 970-544-4100.
- Noon - 8:30 pm, WINTERFEST: Cooper Ave Mall — Come join in the festivities! WinterFest brings fun for the whole family, including: clowns, face painters, live music, Aspen Kettle Corn, POP! cotton candy, hot chocolate & cookies, the torchlight decent, and the fireworks extravaganza over Aspen Mountain. Free and open to everyone. See the Full List of Winterfest activities
- 8:00 pm, Torchlight Descent Little Nell: Aspen Mountain
- 8:15 pm, Wintersköl Fireworks Extravaganza Little Nell: Aspen Mountain
- 10:00 pm, Super Diamond: Playing at Belly Up Aspen
- 9:00 am - 5:00 pm, Men's Health & Women's Health Village at Aspen Wintersköl: Aspen Gondola Plaza — The Ultimate Party in the Snow. Check out our schedule of events and carve your trail through Aspen Winterskol 2011.
RECOVER from your day on the slopes with tranquil spa services and new products to try in the Men's Health/Women's Health Sanctuary. Lower Gondola Plaza, 9 am - 3 pm
LOUNGE between runs in the Men's Health/Women's Health Lodge featuring games, sweeps, and Internet Café. Men's Health/Women's Health Lodge, Upper Gondola Plaza, 9 am - 3 pm
SIP beer and wine, munch on snacks and groove to the sounds of some of Aspen's hottest DJs at our Après-Ski Parties in the Men's Health/Women's Health Lodge, Upper Gondola Plaza, 3-5 pm (21+ Event)
Stay with us at the Inn at Aspen located slopeside to Buttermilk Ski Resort — Ski all day and play all night, while you stay for cheap! Check out our great lodging deals!